Monday, February 7, 2011

Breakfast at Work

I swear, the longer I am working in a bakery, the less and less I want to eat anything baked, anything made with flour and sugar.  I am very over it!  Now, all I crave is savory things.  In the mornings before the beginning of this year, we would get bagels and share them.  A bagel a day?  Definitely bad for this girl's figure!  At the beginning of the year we decided we would nix the bagels and have bread instead.  One of my coworkers is gluten free,  so eats this gf rice bread, and another coworker has been watching her gluten intake, so also eats the same bread.  I could eat gf bread, but honestly, since I don't have to and it is so expensive, I would rather eat something with absolutely no white flour and sprouted grains, which are much healthier and better for digestion. 

So that's what we've been eating.  Bread toasted in the oven with fun toppings.  I had been doing a little bit of earth balance spread on the toast with some veggies.  Or some pesto cream cheese with the veggies.  This particular breakfast idea was an idea of one of my coworkers, who suggested using a marinara the kitchen had prepared.  I personally didn't think it had a ton of flavor and found a container of pesto from the kitchen, spread it on the sprouted grain toast, topped it with daiya and popped it back in the oven until the daiya melted.  On top of that I put organic tomato slices which I sprinkled with sea salt, black pepper and tons of cayenne, then with fresh red onion slices.  It was so good and nicely filling with the sprouted grain bread.  I have been pretty much making a variation of this everyday at work now, and must say it is sufficiently filling and delicious!


Pesto Toast:


Pesto, Melted Daiya, Spicy Tomatoes and Fresh Red Onion

2 slices desired bread (I used sprouted grain)
2-3 tablespoons prepared pesto
1/4 cup shredded daiya
6 slices fresh tomato
1 slice red onion, separated into rings
sea salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste

1.  Place bread on an oven safe baking tray.  Toast for about 2 minutes at 350-375 degrees.

2.  Remove from oven and spread the pesto on each slice.  Top each slice with daiya and return to the oven until melted.  Top with the tomato slices, sprinkling each slice with sea salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. 

3.  Top with the slices of red onion and eat while hot so that the daiya is nice and melty!

Enjoy!

-K





No comments:

Post a Comment