However, in the middle of being extremely busy prepping for my Gluten Free classes and having to feed the Hubby and myself of course, the hot dogs were looking at me again. Remembering that I always have some kind of cooked beans in the freezer, I rummaged around a found a bag of cooked black beans. After thawing them out, the chili actually came together and was ready to eat within half an hour or so.
Chili for Chili Dogs
|Gigantic Pot 'O Chili|
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small green pepper, chopped, about 1 cup
1 small orange pepper, chopped, about 1 cup
1 large onion, chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
1 jalapeno, minced
6 cloves garlic, chopped
3 cups cooked black beans (or preferred beans)
1/3 cup tvp
2 large roma tomatoes, chopped, about 2 cups
4 cups filtered water
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2-3 pinches cayenne pepper
1. In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and add the green, orange and jalapeno peppers, the onion and the garlic. Saute 2-3 minutes or until fragrant.
2. Add the chopped roma tomatoes and continue to saute for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Add the black beans and all the spices, stirring to coat. Add the 4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
4. Add the tvp, stirring immediately as it hits the boiling liquid. It will swell immediately.
5. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer until chili has desired flavor and texture ( I like mine a little on the thick side). This can be served as chili dogs or in a bowl or with a slice of cornbread on the side.
Ingredients for Chili Dogs:
(All of the following ingredients are as needed, meaning for as many people as you intend to serve- the chili will make a ton of chili dogs)
Sweet Onion, chopped
Green Pepper, chopped
1. Toast buns in the oven until golden.
2. Place smart dogs in a pan on the stove with a drizzle of olive oil and cook until browned on all sides.
3. Place smart dog in center of bun, top with about 1/4 cup of chili, immediately followed by the daiya (so it can melt) and topped with the green pepper and sweet onion.