Sunday, December 19, 2010

Potato Chorizo Tacos

When the Hubby woke up this morning, he declared that he was starving.  He went to the fridge, rummaged around and declared that even though the fridge was full, there was nothing to eat.  I went in the kitchen, glancing inside the fridge to see what he was looking at, and sure enough, the fridge was full, but there was tons of things to eat.  He just meant that there was nothing already prepared that he could start munching on.  I laughed and said I would start making something.  Once I was actually looking more thoroughly in the fridge, I discovered there wasn't much in the way of fresh produce: an onion, a head of garlic, a couple green peppers and tomatoes, etc.  We did have several pounds of potatoes and tons of vegetarian meat replacements because I had just been to Trader Joe's.

Then I remembered that one of my coworkers had made a potato chorizo taco for family meal a couple weeks ago and it was delicious!  She told me what it had in it and I decided to set off and attempt to replicate it.  The Hubby, being Dominican, requested that I also make some tostones (fried green plantains) for him to go with the tacos since we haven't had them in a while.  I know, I know, terrible carb overload - potatoes, whole wheat wrap and fried plantains.  No wonder we were tired after eating, but damn was it good!  Next time, I think I will serve some steamed veggies or a salad on the side (that is, if we have more fresh produce then!).  Hubby is always so surprised by how much produce we use, but I keep reminding him that I'm veggie and he eats tons of veggies with me!  Funny Hubby!  Here is the recipe:


Potato Chorizo Tacos:


Potato Soy Chorizo Tacos with Vegan Sour Cream, Salsa and Tostones


Serves 4

4 whole wheat wraps (or corn tortillas for a gluten free option)

4 large potatoes diced  (3 1/2 cups)
1 jalapeno, minced
1/2 large onion, small diced (3/4 cup)
1 green pepper, small diced (1 cup)
1/2 red pepper, small diced (1/2 cup)
1 carrot, peeled and julienned
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 tube Trader Joe's soy chorizo

To Serve: vegan sour cream, salsa and wedges of lime.  Yum!

1.  Place potatoes in a medium pot covered with warm water and cook over medium heat until just tender.  Drain and set aside.
2.  In a medium pan, Saute the onions, green, red and jalapeno peppers until just softened.  Add the chopped garlic and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes. 
3.  Add the soy chorizo and stir to coat.  Add all of the spices and stir to coat. 
4.  Place the spiced veggies and chorizo in a large bowl with the potatoes and using a potato masher, slightly mash together the ingredients until the potatoes are in smaller pieces.  Use a wooden spoon or spatula to continue mixing all of the ingredients together.  Season to taste.
5.  Warm the wraps by placing directly over the flame on your stove, about 5-10 seconds on each side.  (Alternately, you could warm them on both sides in a hot, dry pan.)
6.  Place the spiced potato mixture in the center of the wrap and top with the sour cream, salsa and a squeeze of lime juice if desired.  Serve hot.  This is so delicious!

Enjoy!

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment