Seitan Portabella Pot Roast:
|Gigantic Dish of Pot Roast!|
1 cup baby carrots
1 medium onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1 jalapeno, chopped
5 small potatoes, unpeeled and chopped (2 1/2 cups)
2 medium portabellas, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. seitan, preferably homemade, chopped into 1" pieces
4 tablespoons olive oil, separated
1/4 cup marsala wine
2 cups roasted mushroom stock
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed with fingers
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Place 2 tablespoons olive oil in a nonstick pan and heat over medium-high heat. Carefully place seitan into hot oil and cook until browned on all sides, about 2-3 minutes each. Drai on paper towels. Set aside.
2. In the same nonstick pan with the same oil, lower the heat to medium and place the chopped garlic cloves inside. Allow to cook for about 30 seconds before adding the chopped portabellas and cook for about 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Add a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper. Place garlic and mushrooms in a medium bowl with all the remaining ingredients. Toss all ingredients to coat. Season the liquid to taste.
3. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 450 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove foil and carefully taste the broth for seasoning, adding more sea salt and black pepper as needed. Spoon the broth over top of the vegetables and seitan and return to oven, baking for an additional 10-15 minutes.
4. Remove from oven, allow to cool for about 10 minutes and serve.
5. Goes great with a fresh crusty bread and a nice side salad