Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pasta with a White Sauce, Balsamic Marinated Tomatoes

White Sauce is seriously one of the most delicious things in the world.  And the simplest.  It is something my Mum  taught me to make so many years ago, I can't even remember not being able to make it.  I remember my Mum telling me stories about how she would eat that as a child, because her family was poor growing up (she is one of 8 kids if you can imagine it!), and it was something they could make large quantities of inexpensively.  She was telling me how they would make meals stretch out and the interesting kinds of foods they would make.  She made them for us growing up, and I have really come to appreciate and like them.  I even make them at home myself sometimes.  It makes me think fondly on my Grandmother, and of all the hard work she has done, and is still doing to support her family throughout the years!  What a lady, seriously! 

The great thing about where my Grandmother lives, and where my Mother grew up, is that it is such a small town, where people own loads of land, and can therefore have gigantic gardens.  My aunts and uncles all ate everything that came from the garden, and didn't have a chance to be fussy or picky!  Eat it or don't eat at all!  But, white sauce really figured highly into meals my grandmother would make.  She would make potatoes and peas swimming in a white sauce.  My Mum used to make that all the time, and I still make it at home every couple of months, except nowadays I drown it in Sriracha!  Yum!  My grandma used to also make homemade bread, toasted, and serve it with gravy, which was made from the drippings of whatever kind of meat she was preparing.  My grandma was and definitely still is damn resourceful!  Even now, at 81, she still grinds her own grains to make her own flour, still tends her own garden, and pickles and cans her own foods.  What a goddess!  So here's to you grandma!

Pasta with a White Sauce with Balsamic Marinated Tomatoes:


Was too excited to eat - couldn't wait to take a good pic!

Serves 4

8 oz. desired pasta, cooked until al dente

White Sauce:
4 tablespoons Earth Balance
3 tablespoons unbleached flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups unsweetened nondairy milk of choice
4 tablespoons vegan Parmesan

Balsamic Marinated Tomatoes:
1 roma tomato, small diced, about 2/3 cup
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
2 pinches black pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil

1.  Prepare the white sauce: in a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the earth balance.  Once it is nice and bubbly, add the flour.  Whisk immediately, allowing it to cook, and whisking every couple of minutes until it is a nice tan flour.  Add 1 cup of the milk and whisk right away.  It will thicken considerably and bubble strongly.  Add the remaining milk, sea salt, black pepper and vegan parm.  Whisk to combine.  Continue whisking periodically, being sure to get into the very bottom and corners.  It will thicken gradually.
2.  Make the tomatoes.  Dice the tomatoes and place them in a small mixing bowl.  Add the sea salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  Stir well to coat.  You can taste it right away, but I recommend letting it sit for at least 5-10 minutes before tasting it - it will have much more flavor!
3.  Once the white sauce has thickened, season to taste and serve.  Place a serving of pasta in a bowl.  Pour a ladleful of white sauce over the pasta and top with the marinated tomatoes.  You can top with additional vegan parm if you would like.  Eat!  And be appreciative of your Grandma!

Enjoy!

-Koko

No comments:

Post a Comment