I decided to make these tasty muffins over the weekend along with a bunch of other tasty things and they turned out really well. Hubbs loved them and ate two of them as soon as they came out of the oven, even though I insisted that they were much tastier when cool. ;) This recipe comes from the Vegan with a Vengeance cookbook, with a couple modifications. Very tasty - I've been making it for a couple years now. And there is definitely something fun about the name Apple Pie Muffins. Yum. Try it, you'll agree.
|So much crispy struesely topping!|
Yields: 12 small muffins
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons organic sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cloves
3/4 cup almond milk
1/3 cup canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup peeled, chopped apples
1/2 cup peeled, grated apples
1/4 cup unbleached flour
1/4 cup organic sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
pinch sea salt
3-4 tablespoons canola oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Either spray a cupcake/muffin pan with spray oil or line the pan with cupcake liners and set aside until ready to use.
2. Prepare the topping first. In a small bowl, add the flour, sugar, cinnamon, allspice and sea salt. Stir to combine with a fork. Add the oil - start with the smaller amount. Stir well to combine until the topping sticks together, but is not too wet. Set aside while preparing the batter.
3. In a medium bowl, add the unbleached flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon, allspice and cloves. Whisk together until well combined. Add the wet ingredients: the almond milk, canola oil and vanilla extract. Whisk together until a thick batter forms. Add the chopped and grated apple and stir to combine.
4. Using a portion scoop or a 1/4 cup measuring cup, portion out the batter amongst the 12 count muffin pan. Top each muffin with about a tablespoon of the crumb topping, being sure to cover the entire surface of the muffin.
|The Muffins Topped with the Delicious Crispy Topping!|
5. Place the muffin tray in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the muffins are baked through and the center bounces back lightly when touched.
6. Allow muffins to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack top cool the rest of the way. If you did not use papers, this step is even more important, because if the muffins stay in the pans too long, they will become soggy. Serve with a delicious strong cup of coffee, or better yet, an espresso!
|So ridiculously tasty!|