These pictures are admittedly from the very first time I made vegan crepes for the family I was cooking for almost a year ago now. You can tell from the first picture that the first couple were thicker than they should have been, but they were still crazy delicious! Now you may be wondering how or why there is nutella in the middle of the crepes, since nutella isn't vegan - it contains both skim milk and whey. That's why I made my own vegan nutella, which turned out amazingly! It wasn't as smooth as the nutella that comes in the jar, but is was just as delicious as I remember it being, probably even more so because it was sweetened with agave and was both dairy and soy free.
I made another batch several weeks ago when Hubbs and I were testing smoothie recipes for our cafe. We wanted to make a breakfast coffee chocolately smoothie and everything we had tested so far was pretty terrible to be honest. Then I had the brilliant idea to put some of the nutella I made in it and it was crazy delicious! Smoothie approved for the cafe! Yay! So, I'm not going to include the recipe for the crepes, because they came from the vegan brunch cookbook, but I am including the recipe for the vegan nutella. Make it and soon because it is so freaking delicious!
|Crepe filled with delicious chocolatey vegan nutella!|
Yields about 2 cups
8 oz. raw hazelnuts
1/2 oz. cocoa powder
2 1.2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
heaping 1/3 cup agave
heaping 1/3 cup hazelnut milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the hazelnuts on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the skins come off easily.
3. Allow the hazelnuts to cool for several minutes, then remove the skins.
4. Place the still warm hazelnuts in the food processor and process for several minutes, until the hazelnuts turn into a butter.
5. Add the remaining ingredients: the cocoa powder, vanilla extract, canola oil, sea salt, agave and hazelnut milk.
6. Blend for several more minutes, or until completely smooth.
7. Season to taste.
8. Place in a sealable container. Allow the mixture to cool for several hours in the refrigerator before using, to thicken.
|Pile o' vegan crepes!|
|Look at that deliciousness!|