Friday, January 7, 2011

Falafel Salad with Tahini Dressing

I received this really great sample from work several months ago that is very allergy friendly.  It is a ready-made falafel mix that is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, nut free and delicious!  It is from Authentic Foods (I wish I hadn't thrown out the package - I should have taken a picture of it to post) and is basically ground garbanzo beans and spices.  You can check it out at their website here:

http://authenticfoods.com/products/item/10/Falafel-Mix   

Anyway, it is a huge package (1 1/4 lbs!) and has lasted a long time.  I've probably made falafel balls 4 or 5 times, fried of course!  Naughty me!  They are so delicious!   I had enough of the mixture left to make one more batch, but I wanted to try it baked.  I didn't have enough to exactly follow the instructions on the package, so I guessed for the water, and as it turned out, I was a little overzealous and added too much.  Unfortunately, that meant that the batter was too liquidy, so instead of forming balls, I formed little patties, which were equally delicious, just a little different looking.  I have made these homemade once of twice before and will again, and will record the recipe the next time, but it seemed foolish to do so while I still had the ready-made mixture.  So I made a salad with lots of veggies and a delicious homemade tahini dressing.

Falafel Salad with Tahini Dressing



Falafel Salad with Veggies and Tahini Dressing

Serves 4

1 1/2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped, washed well and drained
2 carrots, peeled and julienned
1 bunch scallions, green parts only, sliced thinly
1/2 green pepper, julienned
1/2 red pepper, julienned
1 roma tomato, skin and flesh removed, seeds left in tact, julienned

1 Recipe Baked Falafel Burgers from Authentic Foods

Dressing:

1/2 cup roasted tahini
1/3 cup filtered water
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
2 teaspoons tamari or shoyu
1/8 teaspoon sriracha
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
2 pinches cayenne pepper
pinch black pepper
1/4 teaspoon umeboshi vinegar (lends important tangy flavor)
squeeze fresh lime juice

1.  Place the tahini and water in a small mixing bowl.  Whisk together until combined.  It will be thick, but will thin out once the other ingredients have been added.
2.  Add remaining ingredients, whisking well to combine.  Season to taste.

To Assemble:

Place a mound of romaine lettuce in center of plate.  Top evenly with vegetables, followed by falafels.  Drizzle dressing over top, using as much or as little as you'd like.  This was a really tasty, lite lunch- one I will make again.

Enjoy!

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment