Friday, March 11, 2011

Pot Pie Wrap

It seems like ages and ages ago that I worked at this awesome cafe called 'sNice in Park Slope, Brooklyn.  It was for such a short period, about three weeks, but was a very memorable experience for me.  The people in the kitchen and bakery are really great and everyday they were generous enough to treat me to a sandwich/wrap from the menu.  I was able to try so many things and have dreamt about them since I left.  The one item that stuck in my mind  - and the Hubby's evidently, because when I made it for dinner last night he told me how excited he was and how good it was when I brought half of it for him to try so long ago- was the seasonal Pot Pie Wrap.

This was so long ago and I don't remember everything that was in it; no one else online seems to be making anything like this, at least not a vegan version, because I definitely searched.  I do remember the one thing the bakery prepared for the kitchen was the pie crust - yes, pie crust INSIDE the wrap - it's like an inside-out pot pie!  We would literally make sheet trays of pie crust, bake it, then cut it into little squares, which would then make their way into the delicious wrap.  I'm not sure what 'sNice had in their wrap, but this is my version of their pot pie wrap:

Pot Pie Wrap:




Yields: 6 Wraps

Ridiculously Easy Gravy:
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup unbleached flour
1 1/2 tablespoons Better Than Boullion, No Chicken Base
3 cups filtered water
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Heat everything in a medium pot until nice and thickened, whisking frequently.

Filling:
4 small potatoes, scrubbed and diced, boiled
1 cup frozen peas, cooked according to package instructions
1 1/2 cups seitan, pan fried
1 cup cooked pie crust, broken into pieces
Gravy as needed
6 Wraps

1.  In a medium bowl, place the potatoes, peas, seitan and pie crust.  Add enough gravy so that everything sticks together, being careful not to add too much or it will pour out when you take a bite.
2.  Heat wraps in a dry saute pan over medium heat on both sides until wrap is pliable. 
3.  Place 1/3-1/2 cup of filling in front center of wrap.  Fold towards center, with sides also folded in.  Continue folding wrap until a tight cigar-like bundle has been created.  At this point you can either cut the sandwich in half on the diagonal or eat it whole.  It is also delicious dipped in a small side of the deliciously easy gravy.  Yum!

Enjoy!

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment