Monday, March 21, 2011

Twice Baked Potatoes

I love potatoes!  In every form and every variety.  White, purple, yellow, on and on.  I love them in every method - fried, baked, boiled, roasted, steamed.  Yum!  These babies are generally the base of many family meals that we make in the bakery and I always love them.  The Hubby is not as in love with them as I am, but he loves his mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes and especially his twice baked potatoes.  I remember the first time he tried them (remember, he is Dominican, so a lot of things that are common for us, are first-times for him), he was curious, but dug right in and declared them amazing!

I make them at least once or twice a month and every time I do, there are never any left for me to eat by the time I come home from work the next day.  Generally that's ok because since he is not vegetarian, he prefers that I put crumbled up turkey bacon and dairy sour cream in his potatoes.  However, I decided to make them at work for a family meal and as always, family meal is exclusively vegan.  I ended up making a ton, way too many and we were each able to take home some extra twice baked potatoes for dinner.

I am forever making too much of everything, which I am sure has to do with the fact that I grew up as one of 6 kids, and feeding that many mouths takes a lot of food.  My mum would always say that she cooked enough for an army, and that was definitely true.  Even though I am married and cooking for two, I cannot seem to get it into my head that I am not cooking for at least half an army, and always over cook and over bake.  So, I just bring in what's left to work and the girls and I get to enjoy them again.  Anyway, needless to say, I made a ton and this recipe makes a ton, but they are so delicious and will definitely be eaten up!  However, if you want, you can easily divide the recipe in half.

Twice Baked Potatoes:

Not so great picture taken at work, but damn delicious!


Yields: 6 servings

5 lb. baking potatoes, scrubbed and pricked over with a knife
1/4 cup earth balance
3/4 cup vegan sour cream
1/4 cup hot water
1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon chipotle pepper powder
1 tablespoon tamari
2 teaspoons mellow miso
1 jalapeno, minced
1/2 bunch scallions, chopped
3/4 cup cheddar daiya, divided

1.  Place the potatoes on a parchment or aluminum foil lined sheet tray and bake at 350 degrees for one hour, or until completely baked through.  Cut in half as soon as you can tolerate touching them and set aside to cool.
2.  Prepare the rest of the ingredients while waiting for the potatoes to cool.  Once cooled, scoop the flesh from inside of the baked potato and place in a medium sized bowl.  Once all the potatoes have been scooped, mash the potatoes in the bowl.
3.  Add all of the remaining ingredients to the bowl with 1/4 cup daiya (reserve the remaining 1/2 cup) and mix thoroughly.  Season to taste. 
4.  Scoop the potato filling into the empty potato skins, smoothing the tops.  Place the filled potato boats back on the parchment lined sheet tray.  Sprinkle the potatoes with the remaining daiya cheese and bake in the same 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until heated through, daiya cheese is bubbly and the top is browned. 
5.  This is delicious served with a nice light salad.

Enjoy!

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment