Saturday, February 25, 2012

5 Pounds of Daiya!

I have been lucky enough lately to work in a place where I can buy supplies directly from the chef.  I generally get a 25% discount on all purchases I make in the store, but if I buy something from the chef, I do not get a discount.  That's more than fine, because she charges me her purchase price.  So, for example, she purchases the Daiya cheese for $5.95 per pound, so that's what she charges me.  The same thing for tofutti vegan cream cheese, nutritional yeast, vital wheat gluten and silken tofu - all things I buy from her.  She has been a life saver, because she has also allowed me to purchase large quantities of things I need for testing my Gluten Free recipes for both my public and private classes that would be way too expensive to purchase at any store at retail price.  I have purchased from her a gallon of pure vanilla extract, 5 gallons of organic agave, 2 gallons of maple syrup, a 5 pound container of baking powder - the list goes on and on, although the agave was definitely the most memorable to take home - imagine carrying a giant bucket of agave on the train - everyone!!! was staring!  And it was so heavy it was ridiculous!  But it's been over a year and I still have a good gallon or so left! 

Anyway, knowing I was leaving this job soon, I knew I had to stock up on nutritional yeast, vital wheat gluten and Daiya.  I knew that all of those things would last a while, especially if I froze the Daiya.  So, that's what I did, and now I will have it for quite some time to come!  So, expect some nice cheesy recipes coming your way!


5 lb. Block of Daiya Cheese!  $5.95/lb!  What a Deal!



5 lbs. of Daiya: Sliced, Chunked & Shredded!


Look Forward to Many Cheesy Dishes to Come!

Enjoy!

-Koko

No comments:

Post a Comment