Monday, March 17, 2014

Mostly Raw Pad Thai

I love the blog Oh She Glows!  I visit it several times a week and love looking at all of the gorgeous photos of tasty vegan food.  Everything Angela makes always looks so beautiful and healthy.  It makes vegan food really approachable and showcases how delicious it is, which I absolutely love.  I have made many of the savory recipes and a couple baked goods from her blog -they've turned out well.  I periodically go on the website and browse through the pictures, saving the ones that look especially delicious, telling myself that of course I'm going to make all the recipes.  When I saw the Rad Rainbow Pad Thai recipe, it was just so beautiful and I knew I had to make it.  Super healthy, light and gorgeous - I just made it.  And it was great.  I made a tasty peanut sauce to go with it and ate it for a couple days - giant bowls of it!  It really did make quite a lot.  So, after a couple days, there was still quite a bit of it and I was a little tired of eating it raw, so I decided to simply saute it in a little bit of olive oil, add a splash of tamari - and it turned out so delicious!  Yum! 
 
 


A tasty plate of the Pad Thai.  Before topping with the peanut sauce.


I made my mostly raw Pad Thai a little different than Angela, just based on the fresh veggies I had in my refrigerator.  I'm not huge on raw zucchini, so I only used a super small one and added more cabbage.  I felt in the mood to use my knife skills so I chopped and julienned everything by hand.  It took a while, but was very rewarding and very tasty! 




It really made a lot!



Mostly Raw Pad Thai:

Serves: 4-6

1/2  head green cabbage, julienned
1 carrot, julienned
1 small zucchini, julienned
1 red bell pepper, julienned
4 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
3/4 cup shelled edamame, steamed
2 tablespoons raw sesame seeds

Spicy Peanut Sauce:
2/3 c. smooth organic peanut butter
1/4 - 1/3 cup filtered water to thin out, or as needed
3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave
2 tablespoons tamari
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2" piece ginger, peeled and minced
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sriracha

1.  Prepare the Pad Thai: place all of the prepped veggies in a large bowl, along with the edamame and sesame seeds.  Toss well to mix.  Set aside.
2.  Prepare the peanut sauce: place all of the ingredients for the sauce in a medium sized mixing bowl and whisk like crazy until everything is well combined.  Season to taste, adding more sweetener or tamari as desired.
3.  To serve, place a giant portion of the Pad Thai on a plate and drizzle with desired amount of spicy peanut sauce. 

So good! Hubbs loves anything with peanut sauce on it.  He was doubtful about eating this because he didn't think it would be substantial enough to keep him full.  He ended up really liking it - and used about half of the sauce on his portion!


Enjoy!

Koko

No comments:

Post a Comment