Friday, May 20, 2011

BLT Wrap

When I made that homemade tempeh bacon earlier in the week, I had no idea it would make so much or that it would take me so long to eat it. When it's just a regular package of tempeh, it can get eaten up pretty quickly in my household.  Once it becomes bacon though, it seems a little inappropriate to eat so much of it.  It's nicely salty, smoky and a touch sweet and I am sure it would go so well with so many things: twice baked potatoes, stuffed mushrooms, sauteed with some collards, etc., etc., etc. 

After having eaten BLT's for breakfast for literally three days in a row, I didn't really want to eat tempeh bacon anymore, but every time I opened my fridge, there it was staring a me.  As soon as I cooked it though, I couldn't get enough of it, and I find that the 3 grain tempeh has such an awesome texture, much preferred over the regular tempeh.  I again just used what I had on hand and decided to make a BLT wrap and it was amazing.  Of course I overstuffed the wraps with tomatoes and lettuce and ended up with a little bit of a saucy lap, but it was so worth it!  Whoever came up with this combination was seriously a genius! 

BLT Wrap:

Serves 2


There is Nothing Better Than a BLT!
Except a Wrap, b/c Now I Can Take it With Me!


2 whole wheat or multigrain wraps
4 green or red lettuce leaves
4 whole pieces Tempeh Bacon, cut in half to create 8-1/2 pieces
2 tablespoons veganaise
1 small tomato, thinly sliced
2 slices red onion, separated into rings
Sea salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste

1.  Heat the tortilla on the stove (or if you have a micro, you can heat it there for a few seconds) just until it's pliable.
2.  Spread the veganaise evenly over the surface.  Place the lettuce leaves in the center.  Add the tomato and sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste.  Place the cooked tempeh bacon over the lettuce and place the onion over top.  Roll the wrap: Fold the bottom towards the center, followed by the two sides, carefully rolling the bottom towards the top while continuing to fold in the sides until you reach the back.  Tuck the other end underneath.
3.  Slice the wrap in half on the diagonal and serve with a salad or some baked tortilla chips.  Yum!

Enjoy!

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment