Friday, May 13, 2011

Burgers with Tater Tots

I've been feeling a lot like burgers lately.  I have been trying to tell myself that from now on I am going to make my own veggie burgers because they can get pretty damn expensive, but after making a trip to one of my favorite places May Wah!, I saw a package of these quite realistic looking burgers, which were on sale
(4 for $2.95!), I had to try them.  I wanted to get like four packages (that's the my Dad in me - seeing a deal and wanting to stock up), but since I have never tried them before, and we all know how veggie burgers can completely vary in flavor and texture, I decided on two packages.  And once Hubbs and I tried them for this meal, I am glad we only bought two.  Don't get me wrong, they're tasty, but they taste Exactly! like the vegan pepper steaks I buy from May Wah.  Kind of disappointing.  I kind of expected them to taste more meaty or something.  But once the burger was made up with all the fixings, you couldn't tell so much.  Loved the tater tots though!  Had them at a restaurant not too long ago, and it was the first time I've had them since I was a kid - such a tasty, fun thing!  When I was first trying to explain them to Hubby, he was just staring at me with this blank expression, but after he tried them, he fell in love and has asked for them about 10x since we had this meal!  Got to go back to Whole Foods at some point!

Burger with Tater Tots:


Burger on a Potato Bun & Tots!  (Gotta love 'em!)

Serves: as many as you would like to make!

Burgers
3 burgers, thawed
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 slices vegan cheese (daiya is awesome!)

3 Buns, toasted in oven

Tomato, Onion, Pepper Slices,
Pickles on the Side
Ketchup, Mustard & Mayo on the Buns

1/2 package frozen tater tots

1.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Place a piece of aluminum foil or parchment paper on a baking tray and place the frozen tater tots directly onto the tray.  Place in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes, moving them around a couple times in the oven so that all sides become crispy. 
2.  In the meantime, assemble all the burger ingredients: place all the sauces on the table, prep all the veggies and put those on a plate on the table. 
3.  Place a large pan over medium heat on the stove.  Add the 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in the pan and allow it to become hot. 

Scarily Looks like Real Meat, Right? 
It tastes suspiciously similar to vegan pepper steak!

Once the oil is hot, place the burgers in the oil and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until heated through and nicely browned.  Place on paper towels to drain and pat off excess oil.  Top with the slices of cheese and allow to melt. 

4.  Place the buns in the oven for a couple minutes to become warm and toasty.
5.  Now your tots should be done, as well as everything else.
6.  Prepare your buns - slather with desired condiments and top with desired veggies.  Top with top bun, add some tots on the side and you're ready to dig in!
 

The Burger with all the fixings!

Enjoy!

-K


No comments:

Post a Comment