Friday, May 27, 2011

Homemade Mayo

I love mayo.  I really do.  But I have tended not to use it too much because it is pretty expensive.  Not sure about you guys, but Veganaise is by far the best brand out there and tastes exactly like how I remember "real" mayonnaise to taste.  Nice and fatty, salty and creamy.  So, after browsing random recipes online one day, I happened to come across a recipe for homemade vegan mayo.  I have made vegan mayo several times in the past, so it's not like I don't know what I'm getting into.  I think it's the laziness factor of making mayo, because it always seems to take so much time and make such a mess. 

I created a recipe for it when I was the Head Chef at Organic Heights in Park Slope, Brooklyn (they're closed now).  It used blanched firm tofu, mustard, olive oil and other seasonings and it was really tasty, but I can't make it at home because I don't have a vita mix to make it all beautiful and creamy.  If I use my regular blender, it doesn't blend properly and I don't have a plunger to help it along like the vita mix, and if I use my food processor, it doesn't get it creamy enough.  I have also made the kind of mayo where you drizzle oil into the blender with other ingredients, a drop at a time.  That sucks because it literally takes like half an hour to drizzle in the oil - I do not have patience for that!  So, I came across this recipe, was quite suspicious, but tried it and was surprised and thrilled when it worked out.  I changed a couple things about it, which you will see in my recipe below, but I definitely licked it and will be making it again.   Once I knew that it worked, I mixed some with a little chipotle pepper powder and used it to spread on sandwich bread.  A nice spicy, creamy kick.  Try it!

Homemade Vegan Mayo:




Creamy, Salty, Tasty Mayo!



Yields: 3 1/2 cups (you can halve the recipe, but it keeps for quite a while)

2 1/4 cups canola oil or other no-taste oil
1 cup unsweetened soymilk
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar



1.  Combine the oil, soymilk, sea salt and mustard in a blender and blend together.  It will become extremely thick very quickly.  Don't worry, this is supposed to happen. 
2.  Turn off the blender and drizzle in the vinegar.  Blend it again and it will become insanely thick - just like mayo.  It will be so thick that the blender will need a little help getting it all together.  Stop the blender, scrape down the sides, making sure all the vinegar gets combined and blend again until completely thick and totally combined.
3.  That's it!  You can use it right away, but I like to chill it for a couple hours before using.  Who likes warm mayo?  *Shudders*  Also, the flavors are definitely much better after a couple hours.  But do try a touch of it as soon as you make it.  You will be quite pleasantly surprised about how truly mayo-like it is!

Enjoy!

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment