Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pasta with Capers & Artichokes & Spanikopita

Several months ago when I was still working at Lifethyme Natural Market in the Village, I did one last shopping spree.  While working there I received a 25% discount on all products in the store, which was great.  When items were on sale, with that additional discount, it was even better!  When I was leaving, there was a sale on organic filo dough, which is usually quite expensive.  With my discount, each package ended up being like $1.50 each, so I stocked up, buying four of them.  It seemed like a truly great idea at the time, but all of these months later, there are still 3 in my freezer.  One day when I was organizing my freezer, I decided that I really needed to use filo dough, and also finding a package of frozen spinach, I decided what better thing to make than Spanikopita?  (I was really tempted to make Baklava, but with just the Hubby and I, it would be a huge sin, because we would be forced to eat it ourselves - it's too good and expensive for him to take to work!)  It turned out pretty decently, but I would definitely like to tweak it. 

Only problem is, I of course misplaced the recipe scribblings.  Unfortunately, I am always doing that and it is forever driving me, but especially the Hubby absolutely crazy!  I am always running around the house, going "where is my ....".  And he is forever telling me the same thing my dad told me as a kid - "put it in the same place everyday and you'll know exactly where it is!".  If only it were that simple.  I am always moving things around.  Funny thing is, I am always writing down the recipes in these little spiral bound notebooks.  However, the problem is that Hubby is always bringing in new notebooks, and I am just grabbing whichever notebook I find first.  I know, I know, I should just take one notebook, clearly label the cover and just use that, but it is too simple of a solution.  Anyway, so until I find it, I unfortunately cannot post the recipe, because I don't remember the precise teaspoons of spices I added. So, until then, enjoy the simple pasta recipe I made!


Pasta with Capers & Artichokes & Spanikopita:




Serves 2-3

Pasta:
8 oz. spiral pasta, cooked

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 tablespoons capers, rinsed and chopped
1/2 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and squeezed of excess moisture
1/4 cup parsley
2 tablespoons earth balance, or as needed
sea salt and black pepper to taste

1.  Cook the pasta in boiling salted, oiled water until al dente.  Drain and set aside.
2.  In a large wok, add the olive oil over medium heat and allow it to become hot.  Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until it is fragrant.  Add the capers and artichokes, stirring to coat in the garlic oil.
3.  Add the earth balance and allow it to melt.  Once it has melted, add the pasta and toss to coat.  Season with sea salt and black pepper.  Toss around until all of the ingredients are hot.  Sprinkle in the chopped parsley and toss to coat. 
4.  Serve with the Spanikopita or a green salad for a light lunch or dinner.

Enjoy!

-Koko

No comments:

Post a Comment