Do you ever crave super super simple things to eat? Sometimes I find myself going through these phases where I only want some pasta with a creamy white sauce and either a steamed veggie or seasoned veggie on top. This is one of those times. I was very hungry, didn't feel like making something complicated or time consuming in the least and wanted really simple flavors. So this tasty pasta came to mind. I have my Mum to thank for this, because the base of the sauce came from her. She taught me how to make a basic white sauce so long ago, and it comes in handy so often! It is a kind of base for a vegan bechamel sauce, for a white sauce for a pizza or lasagna, pasta, or really anything at all. So this is for you when you're feeling like eating simple tasty food, and are not in the mood to make something complicated or time consuming. But still tasty!
Pasta with a Creamy Sauce, Steamed Broccoli:
|Creamy Sauce with Yummy Steamed Broccoli|
8 oz. desired pasta shape, cooked
1 head broccoli, separated into florets
extra virgin olive oil to coat
sea salt to taste
4 tablespoons earth balance
2 tablespoons unbleached flour
2 cups unsweetened soymilk
3 tablespoons vegan cashew parm, or as desired
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of salted, oiled water to a boil. Drop in the pasta and cook until al dente. Scoop the pasta out with a large slotted spoon. You'll want to keep the boiling water to blanch your broccoli in.
2. While the pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce. In a medium pot, add the earth balance over medium heat. Once the earth balance has melted, add the unbleached flour, whisking together immediately, and continuing to cook until golden in color.
3. Once the flour has cooked slightly, add the unsweetened soymilk, vegan cashew parm, sea salt and black pepper. Whisk immediately or the flour will seize, creating a lumpy sauce. Continue cooking over medium heat until the sauce has thickened and flour has cooked all the way. Season to taste, adding more parm, salt or pepper as desired.
4. While the sauce is cooking, submerse the broccoli in the boiling pasta water and cook for about one minute, or until softened but still crisp. Drain, discarding the water.
5. Toss the steamed broccoli with extra virgin olive oil and sea salt.
6. To serve, toss the cooked pasta in the sauce, coating evenly. Place a serving in a bowl and top with the blanched broccoli. Top with fresh cracked black pepper or additional vegan cashew parm.