Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Gluten Free Wednesday: Gluten Free Savory Cornbread

Happy Gluten Free Wednesday! 

I love cornbread!  Seriously, it's kind of ridiculous!  I love it sweet, kind of sweet, not so sweet, savory.   I'm the kind of person that would make chili with cornbread just for the cornbread.  Yum!  You getting it yet?  I said it was a little ridiculous!

 When I worked at Lifethyme, we made a Mixed Berry Cornbread that's super tasty.  At Babycakes, we made some form of a raspberry/lemon cornbread (it was several years ago now - I don't exactly remember!) and a basic cornbread, which were both obviously gluten free and super delicious.  One of my previous coworkers at Lifethyme that left about 1 1/2 years ago came up with a savory cornbread with roasted corn, jalapenos and scallions which was seriously out of this world.  It was so amazing I could have taken some home, popped it in the oven and eaten it everyday and I would have been happy.  I decided to replicate the recipe, but make it gluten free, to see how it would turn out.  So, I had a base gluten free cornbread recipe I had made before, tweaked it and came up with this recipe.

Back when I was at Lifethyme, there was some left over on the occasion when I made this, so I brought it around to some coworkers in other departments, simply telling them it was vegan savory cornbread, and paying close attention to their reactions.  Once they had eaten it, I let them know ut was gluten free and they were shocked.  Success!  Two people actually came to me later in the day and asked me for the recipe.  What a compliment!  One of the guys actually went home the same night to make it, brought it to a party and came back the next day saying how everyone loved it and couldn't believe it was gluten free!  Try it and let me know what you think!


Savory Cornbread:



Piping Hot Slice of Cornbread!


Yields 12-15 slices

2 cups corn meal
2/3 cup sorghum flour
2/3 cup tapioca starch
4 tablespoons raw sugar
4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons warm water)
6 tablespoons canola oil
2 cups unsweetened soymilk, mixed with 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 small jalapeno peppers, minced, about 3 tablespoons
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, about 3 cloves
1 cup roasted corn (1 1/2 cups frozen corn, 1 tablespoon oil, pinch of sea salt and black pepper)

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Oil a 10" round or square cake pan and set aside.
2.  In a medium bowl place all of the dry ingredients: the cornmeal, sorghum flour, tapioca starch, raw sugar, baking powder, sea salt, xanthan gum, red pepper flakes and black pepper.  Wisk well to combine all ingredeints.  Add the wet ingredients to the same bowl: flax eggs, canola oil and soymilk mixed with lemon juice.  Whisk just until ingredients are combined.  Add the minced jalapeno peppers, monced garlic and roasted corn.  Stir into the batter with a rubber spatula just until mixed together.
3.  Pour batter into oiled pan and smooth the top with the spatula.
4.  Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden on top and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.


Top is Nice & Golden

5.  Allow the cornbread to cool in its pan for about 10 minutes, then remove from pan and place on a cooling rack to continue cooling the rest of the way.


Trying to Wait for it to Cool - So Difficult!

If you can't wait until it cools all the way, don't worry, I couldn't either!  Slather with some earth balance and eat!  Yum!

Enjoy!

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment