Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Gluten Free Wednesday: Black Bean Tamales, Yucca, Roasted Corn Salad

Happy Gluten Free Wednesday!

When I was making this meal, Hubby was off with his cousin at the Barber's, getting his face shaved, his hair trimmed, and his "line" made.  The whole idea of going to a barber is still pretty strange and old fashioned to me, even though we have been together for over 2 years now and he does this every couple weeks.  His hair is very different than mine, so he needs to have it maintained in his own way.  Although lately he has been complaining about the cost and suggesting I cut his hair, make his "line", etc.  The idea really freaks me out (hello, do I want to ruin his beautiful hair!?)  I of course shouldn't have told him that when I was growing up, my Mum cut all four of my brothers' hair, plus my Dad's and also trimmed his beard.  Just because my Mum is talented that way, doesn't mean I am, right?

Let's get back to food shall we?  SO, Hubby was at the Barber and since he wasn't at home, I wasn't really motivated to make anything great, so I had some leftover tamales in the freezer that I steamed, yucca that I boiled, and a simple roasted corn salad that I made.  The whole thing must have taken about half an hour.  It was a tasty, though very carby dinner.  I put sour cream and lots of sriracha on my tamales and was very happy.  Yum!

Black Bean Tamales, Yucca, Roasted Corn Salad:



Boiled Yucca, Roasted Corn Salad, Black Bean Tamales
with Sour Cream (I had Sriracha on the side of course!)

Black Bean Tamales, prepared, steamed until hot

2 large yucca
1 pot of salted water

Roasted Corn Salad:
2 cups frozen corn
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoons minced jalapenos
1/4 cup small diced green pepper
1/4 cup small diced orange/red bell pepper
2 tablespoons minced red onion
3 thin scallions, minced
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1.  To prepare the yucca, remove the tough ends.  With a pairing knife, remove the waxy outer skin.  The underlying flesh should be bright white.  Be sure to remove all of the pink flesh that is slightly underlying the dark outer layer. 
2.  Cut the yucca into 4-5 circles, depending upon the size.    Quarter each of the slices of yucca and place in a medium sized sauce pot over high heat.  Generously salt the water.  Boil until the yucca can be easily be pierced with a fork.  Drain, but keep warm.  (Remember, or be aware, if you have never eaten yucca before, that there is a large stem in the center that needs to be removed- it is not edible. 
3.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  On a baking sheet, place the 2 cups of frozen corn and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with black pepper and toss well to coat. 
4.  Place in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the edges are just beginning to turn golden and the corn is cooked.  Set the corn aside to cool slightly. 
5.  In a medium bowl, place the chopped veggies - the jalapenos, green and orange bell peppers, red onions, scallions and minced garlic.  Stir together.  Add the lime juice, olive oil, sea salt and black pepper.  Stir again to combine. 
6.  By now the corn should have cooled enough to be tossed with the remaining ingredients.  Toss with all ingredients to coat.  Season to taste, adjusting the salt or lime juice as desired. 
7.  To serve, remove the tamales from the corn husks and top with sour cream and hot sauce (that's my choice, but you can top with whatever you want), serve the yucca on the side and a portion of the corn salad.  Simple and tasty!

Enjoy!

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment