Sunday, July 17, 2011

Toast with New Tempeh Bacon Test

Ever since I stared private cheffing for a family in the mornings, I have been making so many things out of the Vegan Brunch cookbook, including the tempeh bacon recipe there.  I'm sure you guys know by now that I love tempeh bacon!  So I was excited to try the recipe.  I let it marinate for several hours before I used it, and was very disappointed.  It didn't have very much flavor and was really watered down ( if I decide at some point later on I'll give the recipe another go, I will take out the vegetable broth, add more maple syrup, soy sauce and liquid smoke - it would probably be good then).  So Bummed!  I let in marinate for a further three days, tried it again, and was still disappointed!  Marinated for three days and it still wasn't tasty!  So, I've put the recipe here, but if you really want to make some tasty tempeh bacon, make the one that I have already posted and use in so many recipes.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the vegan brunch cookbook, just sometimes a couple recipes do not turn out as I expect them to.  I made the Bakery Style Muffins in the cookbook for the family for breakfast one morning, using vegan sour cream instead of yogurt (just because they didn't have vegan yogurt in the house) and used fresh berries instead of the frozen berries the recipe called for, and they were all eaten within a couple hours.  Believe me, I bake everyday! and sometimes can barely stomach eating any baked goods anymore, and I would eat this every day!  If you don't have the book or have never seen it before, go check it out.  But, just don't make the tempeh bacon recipe! 



Tempeh Bacon:
1 pkg. tempeh, cut in half widthwise, then sliced thinly
3 tablespoons tamari/shoyu
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3/4 cup vegetable broth
2 garlic cloves, minced

1.  Place all the marinade ingredients in a bowl with a tightly sealing lid.  Whisk together all ingredients until well combined.
2.  Place the tempeh slices into the marinade and allow to marinade for several hours, or overnight. 
3.  Place a small amount of oil into a medium sized pan over medium heat.  Once the oil is hot, place the drained tempeh into the hot oil carefully! and cook for several minutes on both sides, or until nice and crispy.
4.  Serve with toasted multigrain bread slathered in earth balance.   Quick breakfast!

Enjoy!

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment